Effective Date: November 3, 2022
VPC collects personally identifiable information from you, which may include your name, address, email address, telephone number, credit card information, the state in which you reside and any other information you provide when you contact us via the Site. We collect this information when you contact us or provide a donation through the Site. We may also collect your name, email address, zip code, address, date of birth, telephone number from third-party sources such as Rock the Vote and Vote.org when you use their tools on the Site to register to vote or check your registration status.
Information Collected Automatically
In addition, information about your computer hardware and software is automatically collected by VPC when you use the Site. This information may include: your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times, referring website addresses and other technical information such as protocol status and substatus, bytes sent and received, and server information. We may also collect information about how you interact with the Site. This information is used by us for our business purposes, including for the operation and improvement of the Site, for technical troubleshooting, to maintain quality of the Site and to provide general statistics regarding use of the Site.
Cookies and Other Information Collection Tools
What are cookies? A cookie is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website or use an online service. When you visit the website or use the service again, the cookie allows that website or online service to recognize your browser or device. Cookies may store unique identifiers, user preferences and other information.
Duration of Cookies. We may use “session cookies” or “persistent cookies.” Session cookies are temporary and expire once you close your browser or once your session ends. Persistent cookies remain on your device for much longer or until you or your browser erase them. Persistent cookies have varying durations that are dependent on their expiration date.
How do I control cookies? Web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to manage and delete cookies, visit www.allaboutcookies.org. Some web browsers provide settings that allow a user to reject cookies or to alert a user when a cookie is placed on the user’s computer, tablet or mobile device. Most mobile devices also offer settings to reject mobile device identifiers. Although users are not required to accept cookies or mobile device identifiers, blocking or rejecting them may prevent access to some features available through the Site.
You may see certain ads on other websites because we work with advertising partners to engage in remarketing and retargeting activities. Our advertising partners allow us to target our messaging to users through demographic, interest-based and contextual means. These partners track your online activities over time and across websites by collecting information through automated means, including through the use of third-party cookies, web server logs, and web beacons. They use this information to show you advertisements that may be tailored to your individual interests. The information our advertising partners may collect includes data about your visits to websites that participate in the relevant advertising networks, such as the pages or advertisements you view and the actions you take on the websites. This process also helps us track the effectiveness of our marketing efforts and to control and limit the frequency of advertisements and other information being displayed to you.
Provided that a company participates in industry-developed programs designed to provide consumers choices about whether to receive targeted advertising, you may opt out of ad network interest-based advertising generally through the Network Advertising Initiative website or by visiting http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ (web-based advertising) or http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices (for mobile advertising). To learn more, please visit the websites operated by the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance at www.networkadvertising.org/choices. Opting out does not mean that you will stop receiving ads from us. It means that you still stop receiving ads from us that have been targeted to you based on your visits and browsing activity across websites over time.
How Information is Used
We may use the information we collect for any of the following purposes:
- To provide, operate, improve and manage our Site and services and to give each user a more consistent experience when interacting with us;
- To evaluate whether resources on the Site are being used;
- To provide you with information about our services that we think may be of interest to you and to determine the effectiveness of our marketing efforts and to control and limit the frequency of advertisements and other information being displayed to you;
- To perform services you request, such as providing you with information and resources on how to vote in your state and unsubscribing you from future mailings;
- To process your donations;
- To help you report an error with our mailing list;
- To send you information about the Site and/or our services;
- To mail you voter registration forms and vote-by-mail ballot applications;
- For customer service, security, to detect fraud or illegal activities, to enforce our legal rights, to comply with applicable laws, and for archival and backup purposes in connection with the provision of the Site; and
- To communicate with you.
Sharing of Information
- With Third Party Service Providers Performing Services on Our Behalf. We share your personal information with our service providers to perform the functions for which we engage them. For example, we may use third parties to host the Site or assist us in providing functionality on the Site, send out email updates about the Site and our services and to process your donations.
- With Our Voting Partners. We share your personal information if you have completed a registration to vote or a vote-by-mail application with our voting partners to allow them to communicate with you about voting in upcoming elections.
- For Legal Purposes. We also may share information that we collect from users as needed to enforce our rights, protect our property or protect the rights, property or safety of others, or as needed to support external auditing, compliance and corporate governance functions. We will disclose personal information as we deem necessary to respond to a subpoena, regulation, binding order of a data protection agency, legal process, governmental request or other legal or regulatory process. We may also share personal information as required to pursue available remedies or limit damages we may sustain.
- Changes of Control. We may transfer or assign information, including your personal information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization, liquidation, change in control or other sale by or of us or any affiliated entity (in each case whether in whole or in part).
VPC does not share your personal information with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
Your Rights and Choices
Links to Third-Party Websites and Online Services
Security Used & Retention of Personal Information
VPC uses reasonable security measures designed to prevent unauthorized intrusion to the Site and the alteration, acquisition or misuse of personal information. However, please note that no electronic transmission over the Internet or information storage technology can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Under Nevada law, VPC does not sell your personal information. However, if you are a Nevada resident, you may submit a request that we not sell any personal information we have collected about you by contacting us as set forth below.
Do Not Track
Our Site does not currently take any action when it receives a Do Not Track request. Do Not Track is a privacy preference that you can set in your web browser to indicate that you do not want certain information about your webpage visits collected across websites when you have not interacted with that service on the page. For details, including how to turn on Do Not Track, visit www.donottrack.us.
We do not knowingly collect or maintain personal information from any person under the age of thirteen. No parts of our Site are directed to or designed to attract anyone under the age of thirteen. We reserve the right to delete any information identified as having been provided through the Site from children under the age of thirteen.
International Transfers of Personal Information
Our Site is hosted and administered in the United States and is intended for use by United States citizens. If you reside outside the United States, you should be aware that your personal information may be transferred to the United States where the laws provide different levels of privacy protection than in the country where you reside.
Questions / Contact Us
Notification of Changes