National Press Secretary
The Voter Participation Center and its sister organization, Women’s Voices Women Vote Action Fund, are seeking a National Press Secretary who will help develop and implement a media strategy to raise its profile, brand, and reputation in the current political environment.
The National Press Secretary will be the lead point person for VPC/WVWVAF’s earned media events and press contacts, and be responsible for identifying short-term and long-term news opportunities and creative placement strategies both nationally and in key states. In conjunction with VPC staff, s/he will monitor current events, social media, and new local digital channels from across the political and non-political spectrum and contribute to the organization’s overall media and outreach strategy.
The National Press Secretary will report to the Communications Director.
- Manage all media relations and external communications; grow our network and relationships with influential media in critical markets by proactively developing and managing relationships with national and state reporters and TV bookers.
- Work collaboratively with internal VPC/AF teams, pollsters, and consultants to develop media plans and content for VPC/AF’s digital and social platforms.
- Serve as primary point of contact for media.
- Proactively identify opportunities for promotion of VPC/AF both in the media and with new audiences.
- Respond strategically to news of the day for maximum VPC/AF exposure.
- Ensure proper preparation, staffing, and message briefings for VPC/AF principals and media interviews.
- Create internal and external materials, including but not limited to: Talking points, statements, press releases, press notes, memos, and videos.
- Oversee speechwriting process for internal and external principals.
- Ensure organizational and brand consistency, and oversee approval of all external communications on behalf of the organization.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 4+ years political communications experience working in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Talent for pitching complex stories to new and known reporters, and placing op-eds and editorials.
- Ability to use multiple mediums and approaches to create effective communications campaigns to reach different audiences.
- Exceptional writing and analytical skills; the ability to write both strategically and creatively on a broad array of issues under tight deadlines.
- Experience as an effective on-the-record spokesperson or rapid response communicator.
- Exhibit a high level of judgment and discretion with professional and confidential information.
- Have an eagle-eye for detail, especially with proofreading.
- Commitment to diversity and track record of working with others of diverse backgrounds and personalities.
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical and strategic organizer.
- A great sense of humor and creativity.
- Willingness to travel.
VPC / Women’s Voices Women Vote Action Fund are Equal Opportunity Employers that do not discriminate based on race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. veteran.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.