Welcome New Hampshire voters! Below you will find your upcoming election dates, voter registration deadlines, state requirements for Voter ID, as well as information on online voter registration, automatic voter registration, vote-by-mail, early voting, and minor pre-registration.
Primary Election Dates & Registration Deadlines
Same Day Registration
General Election Dates & Registration Deadlines
Same Day Registration
Online Voter Registration
No, New Hampshire does not have Online Voter Registration. To register to vote, you must apply at town or city clerk’s office; qualified individuals may also register at polling place on election day.
Strict = if no identification, voter must take additional measures after Election Day to have ballot counted
Non-strict = if no identification, voter still has option to cast ballot that may be counted without additional measures by voter
New Hampshire has non-strict photo ID requirements. Here are the approved forms of ID in the state of New Hampshire:
- Driver’s license issued by any state or federal government;
- Non-driver ID card issued by NH DMV or motor vehicle agency of another state;
- Photo ID card for “voting identification only” issued by NH DMV (RSA 260:21);
- United States armed services identification card;
- United States passport or passcard;
- NH student ID card (see more information below);
- A photo ID not mentioned above, but determined to be legitimate by the moderator, supervisors of the checklist, or clerk of a town, ward or city. If any person authorized to challenge a voter does so under this provision, the voter shall be required to fill out a challenged voter affidavit before obtaining a ballot.
- Verification of the voter’s identity by a moderator or supervisor of the checklist or clerk of a town, ward or city (not a ballot clerk). If any person authorized to challenge a voter does so under this provision, the voter shall be required to fill out a challenged voter affidavit before obtaining a ballot.
Acceptable student photo ID cards must be issued by:
- A college, university, or career school approved or licensed to operate in New Hampshire
- A public high school in New Hampshire
- A non-public high school in New Hampshire accredited by a private school accrediting agency that is recognized by the NH
- Department of Education
- Dartmouth College
- A college or university operated by the university system of New Hampshire or the community college system of New Hampshire
New Hampshire does not have “no-excuse” vote-by-mail.
New Hampshire has no in-person early voting.
Automatic Voter Registration (Motor Voter)
New Hampshire has no Automatic Voter Registration.
No specific provision. Contact your state election officials for details.
Links to State-by-State Charts
Content Updated Summer 2018